Welcome to our Cities Programme.
The Neighbourhood School in Barking and Dagenham in East London is home to our courses for cities and regions wishing to explore establishing similar systems to scale up practical participation in their cities and neighbourhoods.
We have designed a number of different courses to support cities during different stages of development, understanding that it can take anywhere between 6 and 18 months to develop a large-scale project of this kind. Pulling together the partnerships and funding for innovation at this scale requires an in-depth understanding of how the systems work. Our programme is aimed at supporting cities from initial interest through to training your local teams to build your participation systems in your own context.
STAGE 1 EXPLORATION
Discovery Days are scheduled every 2 months for anyone interested in the Every One Every Day initiative in Barking and Dagenham. Includes a tour of the neighbourhoods in which we are working, presentations from neighbourhood design teams, and the Neighbourhood School tutors and researchers. Suitable for everyone interested in the initiative, including local government and cities teams, urban designers, community developers, researchers, students and citizen-led project teams.
- Individuals: Free
- Organisations: £100 per person
There are 20 spaces available per day.
- 9 May 2018
- 11 June 2018
- 12 September 2018
- 5 December 2018
City Study Trips
Study trips for city teams. These introduction days are designed on request for teams undertaking urban innovation trips in the UK or Europe. Study Trips can be structured over 1 to 5 days.
£2,000 per day - Up to 20 participants.
On request to suit organisation.
STAGE 2 - DEVELOPMENT
Your organisation, local government or city team has decided that they want to begin developing a similar initiative locally. Our Cities Programme has designed two knowledge blocks to take you through the different stages you will need to build your project. Each block is 1 week long and can be taken together over a single 2 week period -- or two separate weeks over a 2 month period. Recommended for teams of two or three people who plan to develop their initiative over a 6 - 18 month period.
- Understanding practical participation culture
- How to construct a participation system
- Deciding in which geographic area to start - running a feasibility study
- Mapping local organisation and industry networks
- Communicating to different audiences to build support
- Raising significant funding to support your initiative long term, including bid writing
- Creating teams for building your new system
- Metrics, digital and investment
- Pulling to all together
£1,500 per person per week
Does not include travel and accommodation
There are 15 spaces available per week
Building your own participatory ecosystems
3 month full-time course
You are ready to start your initiative. You have developed the work, established the right starting place, built your partnerships and raised your finances and have recruited your core kickstart team of 5 - 10 people. Our Cities Programme will train your team to further build your infrastructures and execute the ecosystem building strategy. Over 3 months you will be fully immersed in the Every One Every Day team in Barking and Dagenham, learning all aspects of building participatory ecosystems. Each person on the course will have a mentor to guide their work and shape their time according to their ongoing role in their team.
- 40% of time will be spent in the heart of the neighbourhoods - working hands-on with the design teams to design, prototype and grow networks of practical participation projects.
- 20% of time will be spend with the Neighbourhood School to develop an in-depth understanding of the necessary structures, metrics, developmental evaluation and functions of the platform system.
- 20% of time will be spent with the Co-production Re-design team understanding how whole systems will adapt and integrate around large scale citizen-centred participatory innovation.
- 10% independent study.
- 10% field study trips to participatory projects in London, UK and Europe.
The 3 month programme will be supported our Faculty of specialist practitioners with weekly workshops and talks.
£11,000 per 3 month course per person
Not including travel and accommodation, except for 3 field study trips.
10 places per course.